Wednesday, March 07, 2018

The Beginning of a Marriage

I had quite a hunt for a cleaning lady. I've rarely been without one in all my adult life. I'd put a good cleaning lady before food and drink and gas in my car.

I never thought this one was going to fly. I'd interviewed a few who made enormous demands with regard to products, allergies, refusing to do stove or windows, etc. I should start at the beginning and tell you I am clueless about housekeeping and am delighted that I am now of the age where it's too late to learn. I've been fortunate in that I've had long term cleaners for the past 50 years who stick to me like glue and I to them. We develop a lovely understanding of each other. They appreciate my baffled limits and I accept their expertise unquestionably. We're all happy.

Then I heard of this lady who cleans for a gentleman in my building and charges a laughable fee. I interviewed her and she seemed amenable and didn't stagger off screaming into the sunset after seeing my place which I've kept hygienic but nowhere near a Betty Crocker level. She talked a lot. But passed the test of no demands on her simpleton employer.

Today she started and we had to sort out some stuff together. I figured I'd impress her by getting a steam moppy thingie for the floor that is plugged in. It took us a while but we figured it out together and dear goddess, she was delighted. As was I with the kitchen and bathroom floors, effortless mopping with steam with no nasty cleaning products.

The place is now spotless and she did windows and baseboards and stove, bless her.

She talks. A lot. But works hard in between.

And we bond over knitting.

She hugged me when she left and assured me that now she knows where everything is, she'll take good care of me and I'm never to worry about housework again.

I know.

I have horsehoes up my arse.

16 comments:

  1. That is my dream! I'm so impressed with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dream too as is your steam cleaner for tile...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not that expensive E. With the dollar exchange I figure you'd get one online at Walmart for around $50 U.S.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. OOOhh - I wish!!!!! I envy - or covet - or something! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't live without one. I am seriously inept. I come from a long line of non-housekeepers. Proud, I should add. We're good at other stuff. It's just the sheer luck of finding Johanna that is bliss. She also said that if I was entertaining, she'd whip around and do a "special" before they arrived. I think the whole secret is respect both given and received but I interviewed a few turkeys in the meantime who displayed not a whit of that and a list of "don'ts"

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. I had a cleaning lady once, she said she hated housework but was doing it because she needed the money. Somehow I just couldn't bring myself to ask her to come again to do something she hated. Even though she needed the money. Glad you got a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rare birds, Annie. A rock and a hard place with your cleaner. I think they have to enjoy it. I heard Johanna humming as she worked. And first time ever, she washed out all the cleaning cloths before she left. That's never happened before. Little tells of enjoyment and pride.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Ah, you're my kindred spirit. I view housework as drudgery and impossible. I distract easily and I miss so much of the important things. Like second shelves down from the first one I wiped. Mum always called our methods "a lick and a promise and that's good enough" following her own mother's advice back to great-gran. I urged my own daughters to make enough money to pay for someone to tidy up after them.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. We had a cleaner for a short time but we were so embarrassed by the fact that she was doing housework we could easily do ourselves that we let her go. Glad you've found a cleaner you seem to be completely in tune with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why embarrassed Nick? I think it's all a question of valuing our own time and theirs as well. If you enjoy it and do it well and don't feel you could be spending your time more beneficially and creatively well then, that's great.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Congratulations. Another thing we have in common. A cleaning lady! Mine does not hug me when leaving, nor does she talk much but, boy she has kept our home spotless the last 17 years. And I don't have horseshoes anywhere up! Not even on the house door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last out in the country was nearly 14 years Ramana and she hugged me too :)

      They are treasures, and yes you do have invisible horseshoes.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a good match. You know, I've never had a cleaning person in my house. I grew up having to clean, so it's just second nature to me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.