Thursday, August 18, 2016

New Tricks


It's not the years in your life.

It's the life in your years.

So the old clichés go, and there are many more, each yawn worthy.

I'm not one who plays all coy about my age, that would be to dishonour all those who weren't so lucky as to be still on this side of the daisies. And seriously what is all this age denial about? Pretending to be young? To be flattered when someone says you don't look sixty, or seventy or eighty? And "94 years young"? As if being an elder is a crime against humanity.

I'm an old woman, well seasoned, well historied, well lived. No apologies. And lucky enough that none of my cells (yet) have gone postal on me.

What a gift that is. To be an old woman.

Crotchety at times (I have to watch that, it's not very attractive - to me)but I'm basically a well intentioned person. I've rooted out the negatives in my life, removed myself from old dramas, old dynamics and hostilities. And feel all the better for it.

Peaceful.

Daughter had a lovely birthday luncheon for me. She's one of those who sets a very nice table. She comes from a long maternal line of great table setters. We're weak on the housework and hope that our lovely tables deflect any interest in the lack of dusting.

I had a long conversation with Grandgirl, we compared notes on Italy as she's back from another visit. Entranced with the muted colours as I was when I was her age and exploring it for the first time.

And new tricks. I'm working on these. Every birthday I try and plan something new for the coming year. A new skill, a new place to visit, a new interest, a new friend, a new club.

It's not happiness I've ever been after.

It's contentment.

And I do believe I'm almost there.



23 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. But don't get too mellow, now.You need that edge, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    NO ITS LATE
    BUT LOVE YOUR SHARING

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated Happy Birthday, WWW. I believe constant happiness is unachievable. It's a peak, rather like deep depression is a trough. Contentment, now that is much more constant. It's somewhere in the middle between happiness and sadness, and therefore more amenable to constancy. And probably more satisfying overall. One of the advantages of growing older is that contentment is much easier to come by. Unfortunately, so's aching joints and constipation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the elder place can be littered with discontents too RJA. I think contentment comes after knowing the darker sides of life, don't you?

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Quite honestly, I don't notice anyone here being negative about my age. In general older people are treated with the same respect as anyone else. I have no problem with being almost a septagenarian, just as long as my health holds up and I don't become a burden on other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's generally Nick, not personally. Just turn on your TV, look at FB and media in general. Anti-aging stuff everywhere disguised in many forms. Rampant.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. I think that you are already there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days, just like you Ramana, are truly content from dawn to dusk.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. Contentment lasts........ happiness doesn't!
    You're very wise!
    Can't think why some people are embarrassed by their age. I feel grateful to be still alive when I wake up each morning!
    Glad you feel you've almost reached your potential. Maybe we must never say we've completely reached it or else what is there to achieve!

    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always something new Maggie, we need to reach for it and not look behind too much. Aging is an amazing gift indeed!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. WWW, at 72, think we're nearly the same age, but unsure. Or and unsure if it's important.
    It's a vastly different life now, than it was even 20 years ago, let alone 50. But it's fine.....actually it doesn't seem to present choices.
    A fine summer evening here in Montana, cooling as we speak from a high of 68 or so (about 17C).
    Cheers to you, and I send my highest wish for myself to you: may we wake in the morning...
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike for those kind inspiring words. Yeah 70 is behind us now. I don't count on 80 happening. I've seen too many go and came close myself. Every day is nurtured and a harmonious life is to be desired and achieved.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Belated birthday greetings! I'm glad to know I've still got a shot at contentment and that you are enjoying yours. I've never been concerned about age---the docs thought I would not last the week and here I am, though I may not live to be as old as some folks. Nice that you had time with grand girl and her mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Concerning my blog post, there is an addendum...

      Delete
    2. Yes a true gift to be with those we love and to be acknowledged with love and kindness. May you have the same my friend!
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. I remember reacting to turning 30. 30! It seems so silly now that that landmark birthday scared me more than the next decade marker I'll hit, which will be twice that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 was my wall too SAW. I was demolished. Drank myself silly for 3 days, thought life was finally over and I should cut my waist length hair and abandon the peasant dresses and stow the guitar away permanently. I was traumatized.
      Yes, it all seems so silly now. I didn't realize my life had barely begun :)

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. Congratulations are in order. On both fronts. Or maybe lots of fronts.

    At times we feel content, then again we feel scared and unhappy. May the contended episodes be greater in number than the disturbed ones and may we reach that land where we sit and ponder and wonder at our good fortune not too long from now.

    Oh yes, 70 is no age at all, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of fronts. I honestly thought I would die late last year, so much went wrong with my health and my sense of self and my life. So triply grateful for having this renewal of spirit.
      Thank you Friko.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  11. Belated birthday wishes! At what age does one become old?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think passing 50. I equate "old" with a little more knowledge and experience. The body does its own thing, the mind something else. I despise this fear of aging and the "battle"against wrinkles etc. A huge industry for the gullible. Inner is so much more important than outer. Outer takes scads of energy.an awful waste of an excellent life.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.