Saturday, April 05, 2014

I Get Mail


Well, we all do, don't we? All kinds of mail. I was reflecting on this. Reflecting on an old lover who recently re-contacted me and sent me pictures of a flood in his basement and then proceeded to tell me how he was repairing it along with a contractor, and, (anticipating my questions, no doubt) insurance didn't cover it as he had been away in Texas when it all went down and no one was caretaking the house so the policy was invalid. I did not find this renewal of contact in the least bit romantic, colour me yawning, but then he was older than me to begin with and perhaps any romantic inclination, whether through the florid prose of written desire or the heavy breathing of a phone-call (I'm in the book)has now entirely deserted him. Hence what is he trying to renew? Or is he just taking my virtual pulse to ensure I am amongst those fortunate to be looking down on the daisies too?

Some bloggers who were my regular visitors (and me theirs) have fled. I hope not dead. A few are my virtual friends too and I see them regularly scampering amongst selfies on FB. On to finer things than a blogging life, no doubt. I look at my report of "dead feeds" and I think "abattoir". I'm dark that way. Not that I would wish....but there were some lovely writings back then amongst these now silent keyboards.

I get lovely personal emails from readers. Some who newly discover my blog and eagerly read every single post. I think there must be 1500 posts or thereabouts now. But they read them all. I am flattered and awestruck. What perseverance! I think. And how very kind to let me know. There were three in the past few weeks. From far and near. A shout out to you dear fans, you touch my heart!

The interwebz has been a tremendous gift in my life. Through it, I've made new friends and met more than a few in the flesh. Friendships established virtually have converted seamlessly into actual friends and we chat and write off blog to each other. Extraordinary how uplifting and enlightening technology has been.

I truly treasure each and every one of you out there in blogland and the support, in private emails, through my recent depression, in no small measure, helped to shoo that Black Dog right out of this room.


26 comments:

  1. For a moment I read "shoot that Black Dog". Mercy killing as it were.

    Intercontinental hugs,
    U

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ursula

    Shoot. Yes. I can live with that.

    Backatcha with the hugs :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without the interwebz, we would never have met. I treasure that. I have made some really good friends,through blogging over the years, while others drift in and out of my life like the tides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually read all your posts, and especially enjoy your writing about Cork, West Cork and Sherkin etc. One of my favourite places in the world. I think your blog was one of the first I followed when I discovered blogging ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read all your stuff (even film reviews) - love it all but don't always comment. (Periodically, I have my own black dog and go into incommunicado mode - selfish I know).

    As you see I'm still alive and kicking yet don't blog that much about our garden now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed following your blog and your daily experiences for the last almost seven years. I remember you were one of the first to link up with my fledgling blog, after I wrote a post on not having children. A shame we haven't yet met but hopefully that will happen eventually. In the meantime, long may both our blogs continue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WWW,
    I confess to being a lurker at times, but sure do love your blog. Your writing is so sharp and intuitive. I agree that a lot of bloggers have faded away. I know my writing has been sparse, too. We've just returned from a lovely Bahamas vacation and I plan to get busy sharing our times.
    Glad you have shaken the "black dog".....ah, life's cycles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read all your posts, but just since I fund you. I've had a few people go back and read my archives, but I don't have that sort of time. But I'm a loyal fan once I'm here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do not know how I found you
    but I did and relate to so much you share.
    We have a lot in common and there
    are times it helps me and you make me smile.
    Busy several weeks ahead and much I cannot share
    as family usually read my journal
    and do not need to sow any discord at this time. I lives they live I once did so I understand them better then they understand this ancient one :)
    if I am making sense...
    Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my
    I need to proof read.
    Meant to say
    the lives they live
    I once lived
    but this one is the best
    and they truly do not understand
    me at this age...

    ReplyDelete
  11. GM:
    And I meeting you was one of life's great pleasures indeed, I won't forget that night in the pub!!

    I do hope to meet again.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sabine:
    My beloved West Cork, always so close to my heart and especially Sherkin where I go every time I'm back, to walk the boreens and cliffs and spend time in the Jolly Roger and sing, yes sing :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pamela:

    I'm so glad you're still with us and reading on. That old BD, we pass him back and forth. So very good to understand and be understood :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nick:

    Yes I remember drifting over to your blog from, I think, granddad's something or other.

    So very glad I found you and yes, one of these days you might risk coming down to Da Republic and connecting, yeah?

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kitty:

    Well you have a marvellous excuse, I've been, sadly, lacking sun and good weather this winter so Bahamas sounds delightful indeed.

    Yes, life's cycles. We all need to embrace them.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. SAW:

    Yes, once I find a blogger I like I am loyal to a fault but could never find the time to read archives, even my own but am so flattered when others do :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  17. OWJ

    I hear you. That is one reason I remain anonymous so I don't have to censor myself. I look forward to your posts once your house has emptied. You've got a busy time coming up:)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes men resort to telling a technical story when they feel awkward about trying to reestablish a former, more romantic relationship. It is a bit autistic of them. I used to be married to such a man and it is how he made verbal love to me. I always had to read between the lines.

    I think you cherish your privacy very much, no? I am always careful not to invade too much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Irene:

    Oh I hear you alright. Many of those in my life but this guy? It was a highly sensual relationship so leaking basements sure came right out of the blue :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was a coincidence that we both posted about Bloggers fleeing.
    I think I initially picked you out from Irene's blog! Anyway I enjoy coming over here.
    I'm a fairly loyal reader when I find someone I'm in tune with. Lack of time prevents me from reading way back though.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  21. You and I found each other through mutual blogging friends, and I'm so glad we did. I read every one of your posts though I don't always comment. I have read some of your archives - love a good back story. I too have blogging friends who have stopped writing and I miss them. It is well worth the effort to make new friends in this online community, and it's no exaggeration to say my mental health depends on it. I treasure your honesty and sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I trust that spring has sprung. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maggie May:

    Me too, I'd love to dig into the archives of more bloggers but time, alas, is not on my side :)

    Thanks for your kind words.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aw Sharon, thank you. I'm here warts 'n all and anonymity keeps me that way. I would have more walls up if identity out there.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  25. Still snow on the ground Hattie, feels like Forever Winter here, contributes in no small way to depression along with the absolutely hellish climate change situation.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ditto for everything except for the heavy breathing old flame and his story.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.