Monday, October 15, 2012

Inuksuk

Inuksuk on Fogo Island



The word is pronounced "inuckshuck".

I really don't know much about them apart from their being a form of traveller's guide. Many are seen on the sides of the highways in all provinces of Canada. Or on top of mountains. They are  uniquely Canadian from the Inuit culture. Read all about them here.

I've not seen them in the U.S. but an American reader may enlighten me on this.

I just love them. Every time I see one as I drive by, and there are quite a few around here,  I smile and wave and say hi.

The one above is from the topmost point of Fogo Island in Newfoundland. which Grandgirl and I climbed a few years back. This is also the site of one of the four corners of the flat earth as designated by the Flat Earth Society.

See? I'm not just a flibberdee-jibbet tossing out the diamonds and stones of my life on a regular basis.

I can larn you too, so I can!

12 comments:

  1. Here's the Inukshuk article in the Canadian Encyclopedia: http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/inuksuk-inukshuk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always assume structures like that have some sort of religious significance, but probably not in this case. Whatever it signifies, it must be visible from quite a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WWW - You can certainly larn us! I re-did the links on my blog so hopefully you can access them now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen anything of that sort on our travels in the US, WWW.

    Seems like a variation on the Scottish cairn, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think our native culture had them too. In the South, I'm sure they were knocked over as soon as we sent everyone away in the Trail of Tears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SJG:
    So they ARE uniquely Canadian.
    Nice!

    CC12:
    Yes, I've noticed them in your neck of the woods and often speculate on the brave souls that leap from cars, gather the rocks and build. :)

    Nick:
    More like traveller's aids, a nod from the ghosts of travellers past. Or something.

    GM:
    I'm going to bookmark your blog on soups.

    T:
    In appearance, yes but it goes way further back in time, I think.

    MM:
    Oh that is very interesting indeed. A project for you? :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. My native sister in law told me that it means "The People"have passed this way.Someone built one on a cliff overlooking the site where our son was killed in a car accident 11 years ago.It is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GFB:

    Oh what a lovely thought, that your son's spirit is being held high.

    So, so sorry for your loss. Unimaginable.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. They remind me of those piles of rounded rocks balanced on each other that you see around. They seem almost improbable - that they stand over long periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a lovely sculpture, and a beautiful view beyond it. The Wikipedia page you've linked to is helpful and well referenced.

    Sometimes people make small towers by balancing pebbles on the shore here, but they don't last and I don't think they're intended to, unlike the inuksuk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SAW:

    Built to last by hidden elves and fairies of the night. they do entrance me.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.