Monday, April 30, 2012

Z is for Zad




This little word sits all by its lonesome in the tail end of the Dictionary of Newfoundland English. On its very own page. You wouldn't care to guess what it meant, would you?

I'll give you a minute.

Bingo.

Yes!

zad* n EDD ~ sb s w cties. The letter Z (see INTRODUCTION: The Dictionary and English Language Variation in Newfoundland).


Sounds fractionally better than zed or zee, do you think?

No?

This is the final post in the A-Z Challenge for the month of April. I am pleased, amazed and proud I actually came to the finish line with most of my braincells and nerves intact. I think.

Thank you all - my faithful followers and the visitors.

You've been, well, downright athwart to keep up with me.



10 comments:

  1. Well done young lady, it has been a very enjoyable and informative ride through the A to Z of the dictionary of Newfoundland English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we're all suffering comment fatigue! Either that or your usual visitors are fast asleep and all you'll get from them is zzzzzzzz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this series. It was wonderful to learn about Newfoundland. Such a charming and beautiful part of the world. I hope to see it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great going WWW.

    Zaid is a fairly popular Muslim name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick:
    I'll be so glad to get back to my regular type of blogging, this has quite done me in - even I'm fatigued!!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mia:
    You'd be as welcome as the flowers in May - thanks for the visit...
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramana:
    Thanks for your visits and support!!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. An ideal conclusion to this fine series.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.