Friday, May 08, 2009

Dateline: Moncton, New Brunswick


--------------------click to enbiggen any images--------------------

489K today, an ambly kind of day. It needs to be, as driving through hundreds of miles of forest can be brain numbing. However the smell of the impending ocean compensates greatly and the clam chowder I put away at lunch made up for the catatonic state I was in.

I pulled over for a short nap by a little church and peeped around the corner and there was a hive of activity in the farm at the back, overfed geese wandering about, several farmhands and cows busy-making. I don't get too near such places with Ansa as some ancient instinct takes over her brain and she goes into immediate herding mode. One time I was totally impressed with what a tidy package she had made of about twenty five cows in a tiny corner of a field but the farmer didn't share my awe. I only now take her where her skills will be appreciated.



On these lengthy journeys across eastern Canada I welcome the ghosts that pop in and out of my head. My parents, my grandparents, aunts, uncles, my great grandmother and dear departed friends. The luxury of time alone affords such visitations. Some memories make me laugh, others make me cry just a little.

CBC had a lovely programme on in the afternoon, co-hosted by Rita MacNeil who invited listeners to share their memories of the songs their mothers and grandmothers had sung to them as children. I was surprised by how many I knew. One was my 'baby' song which was sung to me by my father every night at bed time "I'll take you home again, Kathleen". And my father told me my first ever sentence was: "Sing-ee Kath-ee Daddy." I've never ever tired of it. To this day. And it's not even an Irish song!

After dinner tonight (a soothing salad after the richness of the crepes!) we walked along the shore of the Tidal Bore which I've written about before, here. The tide was low tonight, the moon, large and golden, suspended like a balloon over the water lost in admiration of its own reflection, millions of seabirds sounding irritable in the darkness, muttering and squawking their peevishness to the only human inhabitant of this lovely spot, me.

And here I rest, preparing for the final leg of the journey tomorrow, through Nova Scotia and Cape Breton.

10 comments:

  1. My only living aunt resides in Moncton and she will be 90 this year. Just near Moncton is Shediac which my ancestors settled in after the americam rebellion. Some of my family is still there.Your log of your trip is sure bringing back memories.

    GFB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked the story of Ansa rounding up the cows. Does she try to round up any other animals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. GFB:
    When my kids were young we spent time in Shediac and revisited it a few years back. A lovely spot with loads of pristine sand.
    I'm glad to ignite memories!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick:
    She's actually tried to round up me and a friend in a wide open field and my granddaughter on the strand. Nose nudging practice for the real McCoy!
    She barks like crazy when we get it right and for a mainly non-barking dog it makes the whole exercise very funny indeed.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm - wish I could've seen that Moon, WWW!

    Hugs to you and Ansa - nearly home now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been around for a few days and didn't realize you were well on your way home. How exciting! I bet you can't wait to get there. I am happy for you and Ansa. I would love to hear the song your daddy sang for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, didn't you take a picture of that splendid moon...?

    Love the description of nostalgia as you traverse Canada. And they probably are all following you, especially if they didn't have your opportunities for travel and freedom in life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. T:
    I left the camera in the hotel room, more's the pity!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Irene:
    Yes, still not there but getting there slowly but surely!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura:
    The one time I leave the camera!
    yes, i feel their presence, some gone far too soon who would have enjoyed the trip!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.