Saturday, March 07, 2009

Why Men Don't Write Advice Columns



Dear Walter,

I hope you can help me here. The other day, I set off for
work leaving my husband in the house watching the TV as usual. I
hadn't driven more than a mile down the road when the engine conked
out and the car shuddered to a halt. I walked back home to get my
husband's help.

When I got home I couldn't believe my eyes. He was in our
bedroom with the neighbour's daughter. I am 32, my husband is 34, and
the neighbour's daughter is 22. We have been married for ten years.
When I confronted him, he broke down and admitted that they had been
having an affair for the past six months.

I told him to stop or I would leave him. He was sacked
from his job six months ago and he says he has been feeling
increasingly depressed and worthless. I love him very much, but ever
since I gave him the ultimatum he has become increasingly distant.
He won't go to counseling and I'm afraid I
can't get through to him anymore.

Can you please help?

Sincerely,
Sheila


Dear Sheila:

A car stalling after being driven a short distance can be
caused by a variety of faults with the engine. Start by checking
that there is no debris in the fuel line. If it is clear, check the
vacuum pipes and hoses on the intake manifold and also check all
grounding wires. If none of these approaches solves the problem, it
could be that the fuel pump itself is faulty, causing low delivery
pressure to the injectors.

I hope this helps.

Walter

10 comments:

  1. LMAO! Fancy not knowing how to fix a stalled engine.

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha, yes that would be a man's approach, wouldn't it? What other problem could there possibly be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, that wonderful combination of avoidance, needing to fix the problem, and needing to not discuss anything emotional......

    ReplyDelete
  4. How terribly sexist! It's about time we men were considered equal to women, and not simply treated as automobile objects.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some men do have a strange sense of priorities, don't they? I'd like to think men were more emotionally literate nowadays and less inclined to pretend feelings don't exist, particularly painful ones. But rather a lot of them still seem to think there's nothing wrong with screwing the neighbour - or the neighbour's daughter. Can't they just keep it in their pants occasionally?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chuckles......there might have been a PS to Walter's advice, I suspect, WWW ~~~~~

    "Please forward your neighbour's daughter's cellphone number".
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hull:
    A similar thing happened to me, actually. Broken heart and he said my car engine sounded funny. I had no trouble believing this piece at all!!
    @Irene:
    Yes, solution driven and there is none to the real problem, right?
    @Laurie:
    Far more common than we'd like!
    @RJA:
    Please pardon my misogyny, you are excepted of course!
    @Nick:
    Are you sure you got the point of this post? :^)
    @GFB:
    Squared.
    @T:
    Once he got his head out from under the hood.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, was I taking it all far too seriously??

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.